Saturday, August 18, 2007
Brinjal (Eggplant) Sambar
1 cup toor dhal
1/8 brick tamarind
Sambar powder from August 4, 2007
(entire quantity of recipe)
2 cups diced brinjal (eggplants)
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
(the more dhal you use, the more salt you may need)
1/8 tsp ing
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
1. In a separate pot, boil 1 cup dhal in at least 2 cups water.
Boil until semi soft.
2. Take tamarind and soak in 2 cups water to create tamarind water.
3. Boil 5 cups water with the all prepared sambar powder for about
4. Strain tamarind pulp from the water. Put the tamarind juice in the
5. Add diced brinjal and tomatoes with turmeric, ing, salt, and boil until
vegetables get soft.
6. Add the cooked dhal.
7. Garnish with the 'tadka'- heat oil, when oil warms, add mustard seeds,
when they pop, add the curry leaves for about 1 minute.
Curry leaves should not burn. Add tadka to the sambar. Take a ladle
of sambar and add to the vessel you popped the seeds
and put back in sambar pot.
Enjoy Sambar with plain rice, pongal, idli, vada, or any accompaniment
Shop at indianblend.com for all your Indian cooking needs!
I have used them and the service was amazing!
Click here to browse their site.
Copyright ©2007 Jennifer Jayanthi Kumar