Saturday, September 08, 2007
2 cans garbanzo beans (15-16 oz cans)
1 large onion, finely chopped
½ tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp fresh ground Black pepper
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
1/8 tsp salt or to taste
pinch asafetida (ing)
¼ tsp ginger paste
photo right falafel and hummus by tschörda used under creative commons at flickr.
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with olive oil.
2. Drain and rinse garbanzo beans. Put garbanzos, finely chopped onions,
coriander, cumin, pepper, turmeric, salt, and ing in a pot, add water to cover
all contents and boil until the beans begin to fall apart while the mixture is
3. More water may need to be added as it boils until beans become soft and fall
apart. When this happens, take the beans off the heat, add ginger paste and 4
teaspoons of olive oil and mash everything together.
4. Form the falafel mixture into (about 4 sandwich sized) patties and place on and
oiled cookie sheet. Bake for 35 minutes, flip over, and then bake for 15 more
5. Eat in sandwich form.Update
Adapted from: http://www.mizfrogspad.com/Diet/Recipes/Ph1_Main_Meatless.htm
Click on Falfel photo above for photo credit and alternative recipe.
Originally posted in jayanthishomepage at Yahoo Groups on April 24, 2006. Updated October 2009.
Thank you for reading and visiting Alaivani.com.
Copyright ©2007 Jennifer Jayanthi Kumar