Saturday, September 29, 2007
1 cup cooked rice
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Pinch mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
4 broken red chilies
3 green chilies finely chopped
½ cup grated coconut (fresh or desiccated)
1 tsp urad dhal
Salt to taste
1. Cook the rice separately or use leftover rice.
2. Heat oil. Put in mustard seeds.
3. When mustard seeds pop, add in the curry leaves, red and green chilies. Fry a minute or so. Care not to blacken or burn the items.
4. Add in the rice and urad dhal. (I prefer to put in the urad dhal in this step, though others may put in step three. The reason I do it this way is it will fry the urad dhal while softening at the same time, so they are crunchy but not hard as a rock to bite.)
5. Fry that until rice is all coated with oil and becoming
hot and/or browned.
6. Add the coconut. Fry a few minutes.
7. Taste for salt and add per your taste.
Enjoy with mint (pudina) chutney or tomato chutney.
Thank you for spending time on Alaivani.com.
Copyright ©2007 Jennifer Jayanthi Kumar