Saturday, October 06, 2007
Quick Oil Free Rasam
¾ cup diced tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
6 curry leaves
salt to taste
1 tsp rasam powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 cup tamarind water (made after soaking block tamarind)
1. Soak a ½ to ¾ inch piece of tamarind in 1 cup water.
2. Put the diced tomatoes in a pan with 3 cups water on medium heat. Bring to boil, turn the heat down ¾ between off and medium. Let simmer throughout until it is done.
3. Add the garlic cloves in any form you prefer (whole, cut in half, sliced, etc.). You can also add the curry leaves. I prefer to take the leaves and cut them into smaller pieces then add them to the soup.
4. Crush the peppercorns by hand in a mortar and pestle. Add that to the water with salt, rasam powder, coriander and turmeric powder.
5. When tomatoes are soft, add tamarind water. By this time, some of the water may have evaporated out of the pan. When you add the tamarind water, the liquid will turn into a light brownish color.
6. Taste for and add salt.
7. Check if the garlic pieces are soft throughout. If so, it’s ready to have alone (drink it by straining it, or eat as soup) or eat with rice.
Serves: 2-3 people
Shop at indianblend.com for all your Indian cooking needs! I have used them and the service was amazing! Click here to browse their site.
Copyright ©2007 Jennifer Jayanthi Kumar
1 comments so far...
By Satyanarayanan on
Monday, October 08, 2007
Re: Quick Oil Free Rasam
Comments deleted by admin.