Saturday, July 28, 2007
1 Potato boiled and diced (1/4 inch) – yield about 1 ¼ cup diced potatoes
1 cup diced red bell pepper (not chili peppers)
4 pieces of sliced Serrano pepper (each slice about 1 centimeter long)
1 tsp ajwain seeds
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
Salt as per taste
1/8 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp Shan brand Dhal Curry Powder
¼ cup methi (fenugreek) leaves (dried herb variety work well)
1. Heat oil and add ajwain seeds.
2. When ajwain seeds begin to jump or you smell it roasting (which ever comes first), add in the red pepper. Fry about 5 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, cumin seeds, coriander powder, salt, pepper, and fry about 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
Fry on high heat to create browning of the potatoes.
4. Add dhal curry powder, mix, and fry another 10 minutes on low. Test for salt and add more if needed.
Keep checking every minute to make sure the potatoes brown and not burn.
5. Continue to fry until many potatoes become browned on low heat. Add methileaves and keep heat on low another 5 minutes.
Keep stirring the mixture.
It is good eaten as a side dish with sambar rice or chapathi. If desired could be used in masala dosai, though these potatoes are not at all spicy or hot.
This recipe yields about 6 small servings as a side dish.
Shop at indianblend.com for all your Indian cooking needs! I have used them and the service was amazing! Click here to browse their site.
Copyright ©2007 Jennifer Jayanthi Kumar